Uncategorized
Engr Emetu Pledges Support As Old Bende Progressive union Plans to Honour Governor Otti With Civic Reception
The Deputy Governor of Abia State, Engr. Ikechukwu Emetu, has promised the people of Old Bende, which comprises the present Abia Central and Abia North, that the Governor Alex Otti-led Government will not rest until their dream Abia is achieved.
This promise was made while receiving members of the Old Bende Progressive Union who came on a courtesy call in his office at Government House, Umuahia capital city.
The Deputy Governor stated that it is worthy to note that for the first time in Abia history, LGAs under Old Bende have unanimously decided to come together and celebrate the fast development strides of a Government led by his principal, Governor Alex Otti.
In his words, “My principal Dr. Alex Otti has done so much and should be celebrated.”
He highlighted that the Old Bende deciding to give a civic reception for Dr. Alex Otti shows that they care and appreciate the development in Abia State.
He commended them for supporting Dr. Alex Otti-led Government, which they showed in the landslide victory they had during the election, and promised that the Abia everyone dreamed of will become a reality soon.
Earlier in his speech, the Chairman, Contact Mobilization of Old Bende Progressive Union, Chief Jerry Kalu, noted that the purpose of the visit is to inform the Deputy Governor of the plan of the Old Bende Progressive Union to organize a civic reception for the Governor of Abia State, Dr. Alex Otti. This, he pointed out, is to clearly show him that they appreciate the fast development he is bringing to Abia State, especially the gb construction of the Umuahia-Arochukwu road, which past governments were unable to handle.
He also highlighted that the massive road construction going on in Aba has improved businesses and made Abia State investor-friendly. However, he pleaded with the Governor to look into finding a lasting solution for power supply in Abia, as it will help businesses thrive better. He prayed that God will continue to guide him and give him more wisdom on how to pilot the affairs of Abians.
While giving closing remarks, the woman leader, Lady Grace Ogbonna, appreciated the Deputy Governor for welcoming them and giving them an audience. She noted that the Old Bende Progressive Union will continue to support plans and policies that will move Abia forward.
The courtesy visit, which ended on a good note, was attended by notable personalities in the Old Bende Progressive Union.
Amah Ijeoma
FIC Deputy Governors Office Correspondent
05/08/2025
Uncategorized
Otti Commissions Additional 20 Electric Buses, Orders Daily Traffic Enforcement Till 10pm
Abia State Governor, Dr. Alex C. Otti, OFR, has commissioned another set of 20 electric buses for the Abia Green Shuttle Services, declaring that his administration will continue to modernise public transportation while making commuting safer, more affordable and environmentally friendly.
The buses were commissioned on Thursday, August 6, 2026, at the Nnenna Otti Bus Terminal, Umuahia.
Otti said the new buses would improve service delivery and expand the Green Shuttle’s operations to more destinations within and outside Abia. He also disclosed that buses with larger cargo capacity would be added, while automated access facilities for persons living with disabilities had been provided.

The Governor recalled that the first 20 electric buses were commissioned in December 2025 by the Director-General of the World Trade Organisation, Dr. Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala, and said the latest addition demonstrated his administration’s commitment to keeping its promises.
He said the choice of electric buses was driven by the need for cost-effective transportation, environmental protection and alignment with emerging global technology.
According to Otti, the public transport system has changed significantly in the last seven months, with the commissioning of the Nnenna Otti Bus Terminal, introduction of technology-driven payment systems, orderly queues and improved service reliability.
“The regular, everyday people are as deserving of dignity as everyone else,” the Governor said.

Otti Orders Traffic Enforcement Till 10pm
Otti directed the Abia State Road Traffic and Safety Management Agency (ARTSMA) and the Harmonised Taskforce to extend their operational hours to 10pm daily, including weekends, deploy more personnel and resources along major routes, and strictly enforce traffic regulations.
He warned that beating traffic lights, driving against traffic, overloading, irregular parking and other reckless acts would attract severe sanctions.
“Nobody has any right to endanger the lives and property of others through acts of recklessness, impatience or poor judgment,” he warned.
The Governor also ordered thorough investigation of suspected sabotage, vandalism and other criminal activities involving transport assets, directing that anyone found culpable should face the law.
He charged the Inter-Agency Transport team to ensure proper management of the buses, terminal and shelters, as well as staff welfare.
Otti urged residents to take their tax obligations seriously, stressing that timely payment of taxes would enable government to sustain its development programmes.
“We shall not be mere passengers in the vehicle of progress because we have the advantage to steer the wheels,” he said, reaffirming his administration’s commitment to building a modern transport system and a prosperous New Abia.

Earlier, the Commissioner for Transport, Dr. Chimezie Isaac Ukaegbu, described the event as a celebration of visionary leadership. He said the 20 new buses would expand intra-city and inter-city operations and promote cleaner air through zero-emission transport.
Uncategorized
Abia Government Cracks Down on Okada Operations in Major Cities, Violators Risk Arrest and Confiscation
The Abia State Government has announced a sweeping ban on commercial motorcycle operations, popularly known as Okada, within the metropolitan areas of Umuahia, Aba, and Ohafia, in a decisive move aimed at strengthening security, improving public safety, and enhancing urban transportation management.
The announcement was made in a statement issued by the Commissioner for Information, Prince Okey Kanu, who disclosed that Governor Alex Chioma Otti, OFR, has approved the prohibition as part of the administration’s broader efforts to create safer and more organized urban centres across the state.
According to the government, the ban took effect from,today, Monday, June 22, 2026, and all commercial motorcycle operators are required to immediately cease operations within the designated metropolitan areas.
The government explained that the policy is designed to address growing security concerns, reduce criminal activities often associated with the use of motorcycles in urban centres, improve traffic flow, and promote a more efficient and regulated transportation system.
To ensure full compliance, security agencies and relevant enforcement authorities have been directed to strictly enforce the directive. The government warned that any individual or operator found violating the ban would be arrested, while the motorcycle involved would be confiscated in accordance with the law.
“The Government calls on residents, transport operators, community leaders, and members of the public to cooperate fully with the authorities in the implementation of this directive, which is aimed at advancing the collective safety and development of the State,” the statement noted.
The administration further urged all affected operators and stakeholders to take immediate note of the directive and comply accordingly to avoid sanctions.
The ban marks another major policy intervention by the Otti administration in its ongoing efforts to improve security, orderliness, and the overall quality of life in Abia’s urban centres.
Uncategorized
MOUAU Debunks Rumoured Hoodlum Invasion, Assures Students And Parents Of Safety
The Management of Michael Okpara University of Agriculture, Umudike (MOUAU), has dismissed as false and misleading a report circulating on social media alleging that suspected hoodlums were planning to invade the institution’s campus.
In a statement issued by the Head of Public Relations and Protocol, Mr. Anyaso Anyaso, on behalf of the University Management, the institution described the report as unverified, unfounded, and deliberately crafted to create fear and panic among students, parents, staff, and members of the public.

According to the statement, the University’s security unit, in collaboration with relevant law enforcement agencies, has carried out thorough investigations and found no credible evidence to substantiate the alleged threat.
The Management reassured all stakeholders that the safety, security, and welfare of students, staff, and visitors remain its highest priority, emphasizing that adequate measures are in place to ensure a peaceful academic environment.
The statement further noted that the University’s security personnel remain on active duty round the clock and continue to work closely with the Nigeria Police Force and other security agencies to maintain vigilance across the campus.
As part of routine security management, additional patrols and precautionary measures have also been intensified to further reassure members of the University community.
Students and staff were advised to continue with their academic and official activities without fear, as there is no cause for alarm.
The University Management also cautioned the public against spreading unverified information capable of generating unnecessary panic, stressing that such actions undermine public confidence, divert security resources, and may escalate tensions unnecessarily.
Stakeholders were urged to rely solely on official communications from the University through its Public Relations Unit, official website, and verified social media platforms for authentic information and updates.
The Management expressed appreciation to parents, students, staff, and members of the community for their continued support and cooperation, reiterating its commitment to maintaining a safe, secure, and conducive environment for learning and research.
“Management remains committed to maintaining a safe, secure, and peaceful learning environment for all,” the statement concluded.
-
BURNING ISSUE1 month agoFG, UNDP, TETFUND And Governor Otti Launch Manu-Tech UniPod, Says Innovation Will Power Abia’s Next Industrial Revolution
-
BURNING ISSUE2 months agoAbia Strengthens Security Architecture With Okada Restrictions, Citizen’s Engagement Centre, And Statewide Digital Connectivity Drive
-
Education4 weeks agoNSCDC, CDOWA Launch Statewide Safe School Campaign In Abia, Donate Educational And Sanitary Materials To Students
-
BURNING ISSUE3 weeks agoTinubu, Obasanjo, Dame Patience Jonathan, Otti Lead National Tribute To Aguiyi-Ironsi At 60th Memorial Thanksgiving
-
Uncategorized2 months agoAbia Government Cracks Down on Okada Operations in Major Cities, Violators Risk Arrest and Confiscation
-
NATIONAL NEWS1 month agoNSCDC Strengthens Private Security Regulation In Abia …Moves To Enhance National Security Architecture
-
ABIA AIRPORT PROJECT2 months agoPresidency Hails Abia’s Transformation As Renewed Hope Media Tour Showcases Impact Of Federal, State Projects
-
BURNING ISSUE2 months agoAbduction Of Two Abia School Children Heightens Security Concerns
